With more diseases than cures, Western medicine can be frustrating for both patient and doctor. It is no wonder that an interest in the health and longevity of Easterners is being more focused on. Expensive bills, medications with serious side effects, and misdiagnosis happening on a daily basis have made the concept of Eastern medicine not only more of a curiosity but more of an only hope or even last resort.
If a Google search has brought you here, chances are you have more than a passing interest in alternative medicine. To help, we have gathered the 40 best blogs for exploring Eastern medicine. From well-known practices, such as acupuncture, to newer ones, such as Reiki, they all have something to offer.
Best Alternative Blogs for Exploring Eastern Medicine
Get alternatives to traditional medicine with the help of the blogs below.
- 1. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine : The NCCAM is part of the National Institutes of Health. With a massive website, you can find alerts, advisories, event information, and much more. Clicking on Health Info can also get you an A to Z index of many popular medical topics. There is even information on herbs and botanicals, along with information on clinical trials.
2. Alternative Medicine : Cathy Wong is your expert guide from About.com. She has ten years of research, clinical, and teaching experience in the field of complementary and alternative medicine. Must reads of the blog include safe supplements and popular herbs.
3. Methods of Healing : Both alternative medicine and natural health are featured here. Categories range on everything from addiction to weight loss. Current popular posts include the effects of marijuana and cloning.
4. Alternative Medicine Blog : Choose from medicine, health, treatment, and more all on one site. They also have lesser known entries on Eastern medicine such as reflexology and hypnosis. Recent posts are on natural decongestants and earthworms as a treatment for cancer.
5. CAMLAW : What does a lawyer know about alternative medicine? If you go by the popularity of this blog, lots. Attorney Michael Cohen practices law in business and healthcare in addition to authoring the blog.
6. Deepest Health : Learn more about teaching and learning classical Chinese medicine here. Contributors to the blog are united in their desire to see that relevant, vital, and classically based information about Chinese medicine be available to students, practitioners, and interested members of the public. The blog offers free articles with loads of resources on alternative medicine, a forum, and more.
7. Worldwide Health : Visit for both an alternative medicine resource and health directory. Find an alternative medicine practitioner or school in your area with a click. You can also get entries on health, news in alternative medicine, and product reviews.
8. This Week in Alternative Medicine : Lisa Barger is on a mission through blogging to keep alternative medicine practitioners honest. Must reads include the involvement of the FDA and mineral depleted soils. Other features include good reads for first-timers such as what is it, does it work, and is it a scam.
9. Infected! : A relatively new podcast, they have caught a lot of attention for taking an alternative look at many health topics. They include conditions, diseases, products, politics, and much more. If interested in exploring Eastern medicine, check out the acupuncture, soy, or other random topics.
Best Acupuncture Blogs for Exploring Eastern Medicine
- 10. Insights for Acupuncturists Blog : This blog is written with the practicing or hopeful acupuncturist in mind. Videos show you how to both practice and market your acupuncture. There are even tools and guides on how to build your own acupuncture website.
11. Innova Acupuncture Blog : Daniel Johnsen is from Phoenix where he is a licensed acupuncturist and doctor of Oriental medicine. With over ten years of experience, he gives musings on staying healthy in a fast-paced modern world. He often gives recommendations on things to avoid and other product reviews.
12. Acupuncture News : Jing is a practicing doctor of Eastern medicine, a licensed acupuncturist, and family nurse practitioner. The blog serves to educate the public and professionals on the growing need for acupuncture, along with news and commentary. Commentary is often given on acupuncture stories in the news.
13. DAAN Chinese Herbs and Acupuncture : Learn how herbs and acupuncture combine in this Eastern medicine blog. The business was started in 1967 in Taiwan and has since opened a branch in San Francisco. The blog is supervised under both a doctor and acupuncturist and has loads of information.
14. Acupuncture Health Insights : Lynn Jaffee is a licensed acupuncturist and has published a book on Eastern medicine entitled “Simple Steps: The Chinese Way.” She has options for both prospective patients and practitioners. A recent entry was on how to clear up ringing in your ears.
15. World Acupuncture : See how acupuncture is practiced across the globe, not just in the East. Topics include Alan’s travels, family, education, and much more. There are also choices for students in case studies, moxibustion, and more.
16. Topix: Acupuncture : If the above isn’t enough to quench your thirst to learn more about acupuncture, visit here. Topix is a site that gathers headlines from across the web into one page. This section is specifically for the latest news on acupuncture from thousands of sources across the net.
Best Herbalism Blogs for Exploring Eastern Medicine
Learn about the natural healing powers of herbs in these blogs.
- 17. Kitchen Table Medicine : Dr. Nicole Sundene is the editor-in-chief of this blog and is a doctor of naturopathic medicine. Along with nine other professionals, they blog on how regular household items can help you lose weight, stay healthy, fight disease, and much more. If you can’t find a relevant answer in one of the many blog questions, try sending one in.
18. Timeless Herb Secrets : Didi Hoffman is “South Africa’s blogging herb man.” His blog is full of tips, recipes, and ideas for adding herbs to your day. He recently began a blogging series on how to go food gardening.
19. Henriette’s Herbal Homepage : This is a good stop for first timers who want to explore more in Eastern medicine. Choose from a culinary herb FAQ, classic works, best of forums, and much more. You can also check out the blog, which contains updates.
20. Nurture Your Own : They may not technically be herbs, but sprouts are still considered a way to help the body’s natural healing and have been for many years. A group of bloggers invites you to join in their adventure as they learn the properties of sprouts. Recent entries are on eczema, health quotes, and yeast free cooking.
21. The Essential Herbal Blog : Tina is a publisher from Pennsylvania who is fascinated by herbs and all of their uses. Check out the blog for recipes, usage, and even crafts. She recently even introduced a book on balms and salves.
22. Terra Sigillata : He is an American university educator and cancer researcher who holds a PhD in Pharmacology and Therapeutics. The blog is named after the worlds “selected Earth.” Topics focus on natural product drugs and supplements to help others.
23. Guide to Herbs : Culinary herbs, medicines, and herbal remedies are featured here. In addition to the regular posts, you can also get helpful videos. Recent entries are on tips for growing herbs and herb garden kits.
24. Herbinator : He is an herbalist as well as a “green values guy.” Get politics in addition to learning more about herbs here. Also useful if studying in Canada.
Best Ayurveda Blogs for Exploring Eastern Medicine
In Sanskrit, Ayurveda means “longevity and knowledge.” This form of Eastern medicine uses herbs, massage, and yoga as treatments to many diseases.
- 25. Natural Health Tips and Ayurvedic Medicine : Stop here to get Eastern methods for treating everything from acid reflux to yeast infections. Topics include herbal treatments, dealing with stress, and much more. The latest entry was on all the benefits of aloe vera.
26. Dr. Eddy Clinic : Stop here for a blog on combining Ayurveda with traditional Western medicine. Based in Thailand, the clinic has both patients and students. Check out the blog for the latest news on herbs, along with expert entries on topics such as diets and detoxification.
27. Bodhimed : Ancient medicine for modern health is the focus of this blog. Dr. Sharada has been practicing Ayurveda and Chinese medicine for 20 years and has applied principles to her life as a professional and mother of two. A recent entry was on how to get a dose of Ayurveda during travel.
28. Ayurvedic Talk : The Ayurveda and Yoga Blog is designed to be a resource center. You will find a wealth of information on topics including herbal remedies, Ayurvedic herbs, natural cosmetics, rejuvenation therapies, herbal diet, meditation, yoga, and more. Choose from many different categories, or check out the latest entry.
29. Kerala Ayurvedics Blog : This blog believes in the divine power of the 5,000 year old system of healing. There are loads of online features on everything from basic principles to advanced practices. There is even an option for an online consultation.
30. Ayurveda Asia Blog : The company believes in its clinic and school as a unique opportunity to explore more deeply the principles of Eastern medicine. Check out the blog to get information on topics such as abdominal pain, syndromes, allergies, and more. They even offer a comprehensive interactive course as a CD.
31. An Ayurveda Blog : Dr. Krishna Mysore is a practitioner from Karnataka, India. His blog focuses on Ayurveda for men. A quick visit can get you answers for E.D., libido, sperm count, and more.
32. Ayurvedic Herbal Cure Blog : Visit for a guide to Ayurvedic solutions to health problems. H.C. believes this Eastern medicine can cure all health problems and help you understand how the human body works.
Best Niche Blogs for Exploring Eastern Medicine
These blogs focus on a certain aspect of Eastern medicine.
- 33. Aromatherapy Blog : This Eastern medicine focuses on how smells and oils can be used to treat different ailments. The blog has tips for getting started, profiles on the essential oils, and even easy to make recipes. Blog entries even show you how to make remedies at home.
34. The Science of Energy Healing : Gia is a soul intuitive and energy healer. Through readings, she gives a perspective of your soul and life. She recently began a series on crystalline consciousness and has more healing resources. Gia also has a Reiki blog.
35. Relational Energy Healing : Dean Ramsden’s blog is similar to the above. He features more on what relational energy healing is and how you can get audio downloads. Those who want to explore more can take classes or check out the blog with more.
36. The Reiki Digest : This free publication discusses the healing power of hands. Free downloads for those who want to explore this aspect of Eastern medicine include “Instant Hands Free Reiki Self Care” and even items in Spanish. Guest bloggers also weigh in with more on the subject.
37. Pilates and Reiki in Paradise : Explore more on Reiki and Pilates with this blog. Lynda Lippin is an American working on a resort on a small Caribbean island where she practices both. A recent entry was on the best abdominal exercises.
38. Hypnothoughts : Often used to treat the mental side of disease, hypnosis is popular on both sides of the hemisphere. In addition to what hypnosis can do for various conditions, there are also resources for those who want to learn it. Current blog posts are on hypnosis as a science and using it for eye surgery.
39. Sacred Feng Shui Design : This Eastern medicine believes the style and design of one’s home can help heal. Learn more about the practice along with geomancy, space clearing, and divination. Recent entries are on how to Feng Shui both office and home along with an astrological update.
40. Sue Young Homeopathy : She is a London based homeopath. A recent string of entries took a look at the history of homeopathy.
If you suffer from a serious medical condition or suspect you do, please consult a licensed physician before following through with any of the advice read on the above 40 best blogs for exploring Eastern medicine. They can help you ask questions and think outside the box, but a blogger who has never examined you cannot plan a concrete course of action.
As a medical professional, you may have the occasional parent asking you about their child’s ear infection that won’t go away or tips on potty training. Even if this isn’t your area of expertise, your profession might make you a go-to source in the eyes of family members or friends. This may even include tips on how to talk to kids about sex. It’s important you can talk about any subject in a frank manner that will make both parents and children comfortable, creating an open forum for questions and answers.
Articles on How to Talk to Kids About Sex
If you need to start with a few pointers, check out these articles that can help you express the key points of the birds and bees, and address questions children may have.
- 1. Parenting – Talking to Kids About Sex : How and when to talk to kids about sex, including the age range where certain topics are appropriate.
2. 4 Parents : This is a great website for parents and discusses giving your kids a healthy attitude towards sex, while preparing them with what they need to know.
3. Family Education – Talking About Sex : Talking to kids about sex means choosing your words wisely. Here’s an article that teaches you how to phrase things when having the talk.
4. Medicine Net – Sex Education for Kids : This article talks about why you should always make sex a neutral topic, allowing your child to feel comfortable and ask questions.
5. About Kids Health – Talking About Sex with Your Children : Sex should be an ongoing discussion that has different stages as a child ages. Learn why starting early will benefit you and your child’s perspective of sex.
6. Children Now – Talking with Kids : This article links to various sources for talking to kids about tough issues, including HIV/AIDS and the media.
7. Island Sexual Health – Talking to Kids About S-E-X : A rundown of what age is right for what level of sex talk can be found here.
8. eHow – How to Talk to Kids About Safe Sex : When giving your kids the talk, it’s imperative you talk about safe sex practices.
9. CBC – How You Talk to Your Kids About Sex : CBC interviews three professionals about how they handle the sex talk with their own children.
10. Dads Today – Straight Talk About Sex : Starting early and telling kids like it is proves to be the most effective way for parents to talk their children about sex.
11. Time Out New York – How to Talk to Kids 12 and Under About Sex : This article links to further reading on how to handle various sexuality topics wit your children. Subjects include gender identity and an interview with a sex educator.
12. Dr. Phil – Talk to Your Teen About Sex and Oral Sex : Parents should know the facts about sex and oral sex before sitting down with their child. Here are a few pointers that parents can use for the talk.
13. LA Times – Franco Talk With Kids About Sex : See how this playful, approachable museum exhibit was used to explain the birds and the bees to kids.
14. Modern Mom – When to Give the Sex Talk : This concise article talks about misconceptions and appropriate ages to talk to your kids about the various aspects of sex.
15. About Our Kids – Towards a Better Understanding of Children’s Sexual Behavior : This article will help you understand normal sex behavior and curiosities for children.
16. WellSphere – Talk About Sex With Kids : Kids don’t always hear what parents have to say when it comes to studying or doing chores. Here’s how to make sure your child is listening and absorbing when you talk to him or her about sex.
17. NY Times – Another Awkward Sex Talk: Respect and Violence : Talking to your children about sex has to encompass the good, the bad and the ugly. This article touches on the topics of respect and violence when teens are learning about sex.
18. Time – Parents’ Sex Talk Too Late Tim Magazine examines a study that says parents are waiting far too long to have the sex talk with children and tweens.
19. Self-Help Magazine – What is Considered “Normal” Sexual Health and Behavior? : Here’s a list from the pros that explains what a child’s curiosities are at particular ages when it comes to sex.
20. Planned Parenthood – How to Talk to Your Children About Sex : At this sect of the Planned Parenthood site, you’ll find links to helpful articles on talking to your kids about sex.
21. The Well Project – Talking to Your Children About HIV : Safe sex must be stressed as kids become young adults (and may be sexually active). Here’s how to have the talk on HIV/AIDS to ensure your child knows the facts.
22. Kids Growth – Talking to Kids About Puberty : Puberty comes before sex, so help your kids know what’s happening to their bodies before delving further into the birds and the bees.
23. Parent Central – Talking to Kids About Sex is Often Mom’s Job : This article discusses how it’s usually a mother that explains sex to kids and why other dad or older siblings should also be a trustworthy sources for kids to ask questions.
24. TVO Parents – Talking to Kids About HIV/AIDS : An in-depth look at talking to children about HIV/AIDS, including what age to bring up the topic and when to add more information so your child ends with a solid education on the subject.
25. Primary System – For Parents : This is a great resource because it’s available in both English and Spanish, giving parents helpful tips on how to have the sex talk and address everything from respect for one’s body to safe sex practices.
26. JS Online – Talk to Your Kid About Sex Often : An article on why it’s best to mention sex often to make it less awkward and more normal to your child versus keeping it a hush-hush topic.
27. Time Out New York Kids – Sex Ed Resources : This article gives you a synopsis of some of the best sex ed books out there if you want to give the talk and then hand over a book to your teen.
28. Go Ask Alice! – How do I Begin Talking to My Children About Sex? : A breakdown of how having the talk has evolved over the years and what to say when you encounter a “teachable moment.”
29. A Better Child – Talking to Your Kids About Sex : This article talks about how to tell your child about your own values and views on sex without clouding theirs.
30. BC Council for Families – Beyond the Bids and the Bees : Along with talking to kids about the technicalities of sex, be sure to bring up relationship talk as advised in this article.
31. MenStuff – Talk to Your Kids : A great read for dads, these short articles discuss talking to kids about the birds and the bees, as well as HIV and sex protection.
If you feel like you’re the only one giving the sex talk, know that you aren’t alone. Check out these forums where parents can share tips and get advice from experts on giving the birds and the bees talk.
- 32. Today’s Parent : Stop by this chatty messageboard and see how other parents are handling talking to their kids about the birds and the bees.
33. eHealth Forum – Parenting : This forum has a generous section devoted to dealing with kids and teens when it comes to talking about sex and how to express your opinion on the subject, while sticking to the faces.
34. ParentTalk Forums : Parents here are talking about how they handle explaining a child’s sexuality and body parts at various ages throughout childhood.
35. Chadz Boyz : This forum is for male gay teens, as well as parents and teachers who want to lend support and learn more about the male gay teen community.
Resources Parents of Teens and Teens on Sex
Once a child knows the basics, they are likely to have more questions as they become teens. Luckily, the Internet has a bevy of resources for teens to learn on their own, after having the proper talk from a parent or counselor on the basics of sex and safe sex practices.
- 36. Teen Source : This is a fantastic resource for teens to learn about their sexuality and topics such as lube and birth control.
37. I Wanna Know : This is a stellar site that is devoted to educating teens on what’s what when it comes to sex. It debunks myths and shares the facts so teens know what they’re dealing with.
39. Stories of Sex Education : If answering a few questions for your teen makes you squirm, check out these stories on how teens are getting their sex education. It will make you want to be your child’s #1 source on the topic.
40. Kaiser Family Foundation – The Entertainment Media as “Sex Educators?” : Many teens learn about sex through the media. Read the study on this and realize why you should be the go-to source for your teen.
41. Kids Health – Contraception : This article gives teens the facts on birth control and links to further reading on specific types so they can decide what works for them.
42. Womens E-News – Teens Learn to Apply Peer Pressure to Safe Sex : When it’s clear “everyone is doing it,” it should also be preached how they’re doing it when it comes to protecting one’s health. Learn how and why teens are promoting safe sex within their own circles.
43. Scarleteen : This is a great site for teens to check out because it touches on everything from rape to homosexuality, as well as the standard teen sex curiosities.
44. Like It Is : This site is aimed at teens form the UK and Australia, but can be utilized by anyone with questions on sex. We love it because it indeed tells it “like it is,” never scaring teens into one decision or direction, but simply giving them the facts so they can make informed choices.
45. Advocates for Youth : This program is aimed at empowering teens so they make smart decisions when it comes to their body and sexual relationships.
46. Gay Teens – The Voice and Choice : This site provides great information for gay teens to learn about sex, becoming comfortable with their sexuality and listening to their bodies.
47. The Cool Page for Queer Teens : This site provides links for gay teens to learn more about their sexuality and also has phone numbers for tip lines if they’re in need of a listening ear.
48. It’s Your Sex Life : Developed by MTV, this site stresses the importance of safe sex, getting tested regularly for STDs if you’re sexually active and how to have conversations on both topics with your partner.
49. Sex, Etc. – Want to Learn About Sex? : Learning about sex from the perspective of a teen who understand what peers are faced with in today’s world .
50. Teen Source – How to Talk to Your Parents or Other Cool Adult About Sex : Teens will have questions. Here’s how to approach a conversation with an adult who cares.
The pros now tell us that having several small conversations with your child over the course of their life is the most effective way to teach them about their body, sexuality and sexual relationships. Kids know more at an early age than previous generations, so it’s imperative they’re armed with the facts from someone they can trust, allowing them to make decisions that are comfortable.